TouchAble Pro for iPad

Wanted a way to bring in some softsynth layers to fill out the modular without using the mouse and thought id give Touclable Pro a try. Only just picked up an iPad so it’s still a new setup but its been working great. Bring a couple of audio tracks from the modular and using touchable to mix, adjust sends and record clips. It’s made me dust off my midi keyboard and have fun to recording polysynth lines to fit with the rest of the mix.

Anyone else using Toucalbe Pro or any other daw controlling apps from the iPad?

How are you integrating the iPad into the modular?

Hi Harley,

Great to meet you. I haven’t heard of or used Touchable, but I’ll have to give it a look now. I’ve been using Cycling 74’s MIRA app to interface with MAX. I utilise physical modelling principals to build instruments that echo traditional instruments, but go beyond traditional boundaries. For me the addition of MIRA has given me a way to play those instruments with intuition and feeling, to the point that my iPad feels like an instrument… with a mostly negligible amount of lag. In addition, earlier this year I collaborated with a fellow wiggler who has an Expert Sleepers ES-8 in his eurorack which allowed us to perform seamlessly together in our respective comfort zones. During our collaboration we had the opportunity to discuss greater control/functionality he may like to have over his modules. Subsequently, we were able to implement much of this through the combination of MAX, ES-8 and MIRA as his UI. I’d highly recommend this setup to anyone who has rack gear and a little MAX knowhow.

Hey, Mira looks really interesting. Always been curious about exploring modular and Max with bidirectional patching. Two unlimited playgrounds.
How far did you get creating interfaces with Mira and how you think it compares to more general touch interfaces like TouchOSC & Lemur?
Apart from the ES-8 the Instruo Aithēr could be a good way to get OSC signals going both ways.

I’ve done some fairly extensive controller building in MIRA. Unfortunately I’ve had little to no experience with other OSC based apps such as touchOSC and Lemur, so I’m unable to make an educated comparison, but I’ve found OSC reliable and easy to work with using UDP send and receive objects between MAX other apps. There are also some CNMAT externals specifically for OSC which are supposedly more extensive but I’ve never had the need to try them out. MIRA was the obvious choice for me given its direct integration within max. There are around 30 compatible UI based objects I generally use buttons, toggles, sliders and the multitouch object for most things. The data attained from the multitouch object is particularly useful. One thing I would love to have in a controller that you cannot easily get from an iPad is pressure sensitivity, for sheer tactile expressiveness. I have nonetheless managed to get somewhere close to that level of expression by fine tuning data output by the multitouch object.
If you have existing patches with UI’s that you wish to build a MIRA interface for, chances are you may have to invest some time finding compatible objects and workarounds to get the best functionality, but like anything in max there are multiple ways to do most things.
I’d definitely be keen to hear from anyone who has used both MIRA and TouchOSC or Lemur.
Thanks for the heads up on Instruo Aither looks like a powerful tool, would also be keen to hear from anyone who has one in their rack.

I’m not using a DAW, but I’ve been using the iPad a little bit with audio and cv interfaces.
For software, I really like Aum; which is a clever multitrack mixer and au/iaa/audiobus host. There’s a growing number of AU effects, so I can use the iPad as a very configurable effects loop. Aum can also be a multitrack recorder, and you can even record a track on the fly, and play it back (at a different speed), from another track.

I’ve also recently found Rozeta, which is a suite of AU midi effects, including a few sequencers, arpeggiator, scaler and midi LFOs. This also integrates with AUM, so I can send midi either to softsynths in the iPad, or back to the modular via CvPal or FH-1. And of course the aforementioned audio effects are also often midi controllable. Aum does midi routing on top of everything else.

Lots of possibilities…