Using pedals with modular

I’ve never used effects pedals before, I’m ignorant about the pedal universe and I’m curious how people use them with their set ups.

I’ve seen modules which let you output at line level via 1/4" to a pedal, take the the processed audio back and convert back to eurorack levels.

Does anyone use pedals in an external mixer send > pedal > external mixer return set up? I’ve got enough 1/4" outputs in my rack that I could isolate some specific parts and run out to a dedicated external mixer channel for this, but I’m wondering newbie-ishly whether that’s not something you’d do.

And, if I’ve already got a few delays, reverbs, distortions and a phaser in the rack and 3 sends of my in-rack Befaco mixer, is there anything fundamental that a pedal could bring to the mix that couldn’t be done in the rack? Or are pedals about saving rack space and/or getting characteristic tastes specific to maker/model pedals?

I use the pedal input/output 1U module in my Intellijel case. Only mono but I often run the pedal output straight into my interface for recording. Also use the send return on my Magneto out pedals for cool feedback fx. As you said, it does save rack space. Mainly use it with reverb pedals ( Walrus Fathom atm )

Cheers. I’m guessing it’s also easier to use a pedal than get your foot up onto an effects module while you’re fingers are occupied elsewhere in the rack.